Monday, November 07, 2005

My Game Is Raptors Basketball

Wow. (Unfortunately) I went to my first Raptors game of the season tonight. Most U.S. prognosticators had predicted that they would be the worst team in the league, but, being the optimist, I actually had some hope for them. Although I didn't think they would make the playoffs, I still thought they could win about 30-35 games. Aftter seeing them live, I'm wondering if I was totally wrong.

The game itself was actually pretty close for the first 3 quarters. In the 4th quarter, the wheels completely fell off and they eventually lost 105-93. Their defense just couldn't stop anyone. My highlight of the night was Hoffa fouling Lebron HARD, but clean, and then getting a dunk and some cheers after. :) Good to see Donyell Marshall back too. The Raptors presented him with a game ball for his record-setting game last year--he hit a NBA record 12 3-pointers. A classy guy who's always taken the high road and avoided badmouthing the organization despite the circus atmosphere last year.

Here are a few other observations I had:

  • CB4 - Had his best game of the year so far. They should give him the ball every time down the floor.
  • Jose Calderon - I hope he's starting by December or January. Pass-first PG who doesn't take ridiculous shots. Jose! Jose! Jose! Jose!
  • Joey Graham - Didn't see much of him. I thought he played some pretty good D and he hit his open shots.
  • Mike James - Hopefully he's the anti-Rafer and not as crazy, but he's reminding me a lot like Milt Palacio... which is not good... there doesn't seem to be a layup that's not willing to try.
  • MoPete - Seems to have improved a lot. Good short jumper and our best defender.
  • Jalen Rose - He's absolutely killing the team with his ball hogging. Every time he touches the ball, he tries to post up against THREE guys and still jacks it up. No wonder CB4 can't get into the flow of the game. Everyone's just standing around watching to see what's gonna happen.
  • CV31 - After all the hype in the preseason, I expected a bit more. Given it's still early, I'll hold off for now.
  • Hoffa - Still isn't very good, but he made a couple of good plays out there. I'd rather see get more playing time and foul out. Sitting on the bench isn't doing him any good.
  • The Red Rocket - Bonner might have already worn out his welcome. He could hit his jump shots and his D was just terrible. Starting to really look like the next Big White Stiff.
  • Aaron Williams - He actually played pretty well for the few minutes he was out there. (And he just dislocated his fingers the previous game too!) I wonder why he's been in the doghouse...
  • Eric Williams - He played for about 5 minutes, but then we didn't see him again. Strange.
  • Loren Woods - I'm not sure why he's out there. For a guy who's 7'2", he does very little on the floor. I hope he's glued to the bench.
  • Sam Mitchell - I'm really starting to question his coaching strategies--if he really has any. He yanks players at strange times, benches others who seem to be shooting well, yet sticks with the vets and the fan favourites way too long. I hope he's just playing around to see what works best...
  • The Raptors Dance Pak - I had to mention them 'cause they are really starting to dress pretty SKANKY. I guess they have to try something to keep the fans coming. No wonder Bethany is worried about bringing Chris to the games... Entering the ACC, I felt like I was in the buffet line in Rush Hour 2. :)
Anyway, I know it's still early, so I'm still trying to stay optimistic. I need to 'cause I split Season Tickets with Marty, so I have another 5-6 games to attend. But if things don't come together soon, it's gonna be a long long season. I don't think I'll be able to give away my tickets even if I tried. Go Raptors! :)

No comments: