Monday, September 19, 2005

Ugh. (2)

For some unknown reason, my mom was making some food last night and she decided to go out to pick some stuff up. Of course, she didn't say anything to Alvin or I that she was leaving the house. As I'm sitting in my room at the computer, I smell something burning, but I just think to myself that someone is having a BBQ outside. After a few minutes, I realize that it wasn't a BBQ and my room was starting to get smokey. So I race downstairs and see that my mom had left a pot of potatoes on the stove at the highest heat. I had just caught it in time to see the pot light up on fire. Thank goodness I was able to put it out quickly! By the time I had gotten it under control, the whole house was full of smoke. I had to open all the windows and put up some fans just to clear it up. I ended up going out for a bit 'cause it would be a couple of hours before it became bearable again.

I was so mad. I was ticked off that the smoke alarms didn't do their job. I was annoyed at my mom 'cause she always nagging me about not leaving stuff on the stove unattended, yet she completely left the house and forgot about it. Most of all, I was just pretty mad at how dangerous the situation could have been. Funny enough, by God's grace, Jenn and I were bored enough where we decided to play some MSN games. :) Otherwise I probably would have been napping in the late afternoon. Who knows what might have happened then? The house could have been burnt to a crisp and so could have I...

Anyway, it's not something that I'm gonna get too worked up about. After going to a funeral on the weekend, I realize it's just way too petty to make a huge deal about this. Things like this happen. My mom is getting older now, so I have just be more aware of stuff. It's just good that nothing more serious came from it--other than the fact that my whole house smells like a BBQ now. :P

1 comment:

ebrian said...

Thank God you're safe!

It's a good reminder that our parents are getting older. I was reminded of that this year, when I went down to visit in the summer. They're not the same as they used to be. Each year their aging seems more and more obvious..