Thursday, September 29, 2005

Fraud.


Ugh. I had to destroy my card today. Posted by Picasa

Grrr...

I am quite annoyed today--frankly, I'm pissed. I was gonna pay off some of my credit card balance today 'cause I had recently collected some money for my ultimate team's fees, which I had covered earlier. Right before I head off to the bank, I decide to check out my balance online. When I log on, I notice that my card is over the limit. Although paying for the team's fees wasn't cheap, I was pretty sure that I hadn't spent that much money. As I start scanning through the items, I notice some irregularities and some unknown charges. #$%&! Somehow, somebody duplicated my card (or somethin') and had been making gas purchases on consecutive days. Anyway, I end up spending 45 minutes on the phone with customer service and their fraud investigation department declaring that my card had been compromised. I had to answer so many questions so they could make sure that I hadn't forgotten about these transactions. (These gas stations that weren't even near my home!) Interestingly, they only used it at gas stations and nothing else. I'm guessing with the skyrocketing gas prices, people are resorting to desperate measures.

So right now I'm probably out around $400... argh... I'm not too worried about it 'cause I'm sure after the investigation, I'll eventually get my money back. It's just a pain in the butt though. I have to sign an affidavit, cut up my old card, get a new one sent to me, check that my other accounts haven't been compromised and probably follow-up with the bank a few more times. Who knows how long it's gonna actually take? Anyhow, it's a good thing I have a fairly low limit and the damage seems to be minimal... knock on wood... scary stuff...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

scary!